Baked Applesauce & More Sides!
Everyone has their favorites for Thanksgiving and I’m no exception. I actually don’t love turkey, but love all the side dishes. I’m really excited to share this one! In addition to being incredibly delicious, it’s also very easy and inexpensive to make. You can make it days in advance for your own feast or to bring if you’re a guest at someone else’s. They will love you for it and here’s a hint: it’s way less fuss than a dessert and just as appreciated. You will also be a hit when you can rattle the recipe off the top of your head. Are you convinced?
Here’s a few more side dish ideas from last year’s “Series of Sides”. Another hint: it will be really hard for you to choose one. That’s a good thing – make two!
Mix everything in a lidded container the day before!
Cold, crisp and vibrant!
Rich and delicious! Can also be made ahead-perfect!
But now back to the star of the show…
Inspired by Ina Garten’s Homemade Applesauce.Baked Applesauce2015-11-15 04:17:25Yields 2Easy and Delicious Make Ahead Recipe!Write a reviewCook Time1 hrCook Time1 hr1183 calories259 g61 g26 g5 g15 g1581 g33 g204 g1 g8 gNutrition FactsServing Size1581gYields2Amount Per ServingCalories 1183Calories from Fat 224% Daily Value *Total Fat 26g39%Saturated Fat 15g75%Trans Fat 1gPolyunsaturated Fat 2gMonounsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 61mg20%Sodium 33mg1%Total Carbohydrates 259g86%Dietary Fiber 37g150%Sugars 204gProtein 5gVitamin A33%Vitamin C223%Calcium21%Iron14%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.Ingredients
- 3 lbs (about 6-8) Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and quartered
- 3 lbs (about 6-8) red skinned apples such as Macintosh or Winesap peeled, cored and quartered. Reserve a few peels to add for color.
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon AllspiceInstructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients, while preparing, in a large pot or dutch oven and cover with the lid. Bake for 1 hour until all the ingredients are soft. Remove from the oven and let sit for another half hour. Remove the lid, discard the peels and whisk until blended and the big chunks are broken down. Unless you like it like that! Serve warm or at room temperature. Will keep for at least a week stored in the refrigerator.betacalories1183fat26gprotein5gcarbs259gmorePirate Kitchen http://piratekitchen.com/